After more than a century of single sex education, the Boys and Girls schools in Newmarket-on-Fergus amalgamated on September 1st 2000.
The school originally existed at a site close to the local Library, but moved in 1959 to the current location. The historic amalgamation, a major event in the life of the parish, was celebrated with a Mass in the school hall. To further mark the event, a Red Oak was blessed by Fr Oakley and planted by Ronan Halpin, the youngest child in the school at the time.
In 2009, the school celebrated its 50th anniversary with mass celebrated by then Bishop of Killaloe, Willie Walsh. Guest of honour on the day was Dr. Maeve Hillery, widow of the late Dr. Patrick Hillery who had officially opened the school as Minister for Education in 1959. Mrs. Hillery planted a tree and unveiled a limestone bench with the inscription 'Mol an Óige agis tiocfaidh sí'.
All Ireland wining Drama group from the late 1960s
Back Row (l-r) Ann Keogh, Mary Whitney, Bridget Liddy, Elizabeth Fox, Mairead Slattery, Cathleen Hayes, Peggy Grace, Sheila O'Leary
Front Row (l-r) Veronica Foley, Margaret Sheedy, Mary Woods, Mary Foley, Kitty Liddy
Above is an article that appeared in a local newspaper in 1963 when Miss Dympna Hastings, N.T., had fantastic success at the National Drama Festival in the Gate Theatre, Dublin with plays that were written and produced by herself and performed by the children in the school. The adjudicator recommended the school for a cup in the under 8 section. He said that the standard was exceptionally high and he praised in particular the costumes, the colour and the children's own sense of enjoyment.