After more than a century of single sex education, the Boys and Girls schools in Newmarket-on-Fergus amalgamated on September 1st 2000.
The school originally existed at a site close to the local Library, but moved in 1959 to the current location. The historic amalgamation, a major event in the life of the parish, was celebrated with a Mass in the school hall. To further mark the event, a Red Oak was blessed by Fr Oakley and planted by Ronan Halpin, the youngest child in the school at the time.
A s a result of the merger, the school now enjoys very favourable staffing levels with 9 teachers including Learning Support and Resource teachers. Along with normal primary school curriculum, both French and German are available to senior students and Ballet, Music and Irish Dancing can be enjoyed as extra-curricular activities, within the school. Our National Games are well catered for with Hurling, Football and Camogie enthusiastically played.
All Ireland wining Drama group from the late 1960s
Back Row (l-r) Ann Keogh, Mary Whitney, Bridget Liddy, Elizabeth Fox, Mairead Slattery, Cathleen Hayes, Peggy Grace, Sheila O'Leary
Front Row (l-r) Veronica Foley, Margaret Sheedy, Mary Woods, Mary Foley, Kitty Liddy